As someone who adheres to traffic rules and drives safely, you would never expect to get injured in a car accident. Unfortunately, road mishaps are not rare in Huntertown. While Indiana is a fault state, the victim is also expected to take appropriate steps after an accident. It is okay to feel confused and shocked in the aftermath of the incident, but you must act rationally. Among other things, consider contacting a Huntertown car accident attorney to get an evaluation of your case. Here are the steps that you must follow right after.
- Call 911. If you or other passengers and pedestrians have suffered injuries, consider calling the emergency responders to the scene. Dial 911 immediately, and no matter how you feel, do not avoid seeking medical care.
- Call the police. Inform local law enforcement and make sure that you file an accident report. Tell the police about everything that you remember but do not accept fault or blame the other party. Note down the badge number of the officer at the scene and ask for a copy of the accident report.
- Get details from the other driver. From their name and license number to their vehicle number and insurance details, gather as much info as you can from the other party. If there were witnesses at the scene, get their details so that you can contact them later for statements.
- Take evidence. Gathering physical evidence may be challenging, but use your smartphone to take pictures of your injuries and the scene. Document everything that you can, including the positions of the vehicles, road conditions, and other evidence like traffic signs.
- Inform your insurance. You should inform your insurer as soon as you can, preferably within 24 hours after the accident. Don’t accept anything or try to indicate details that could be used against you at some point.
Call a car accident attorney
You need help to evaluate what your car accident claim is worth. Get an attorney immediately after the crash so you can use the time to gather details and evidence. Most lawyers in Huntertown will not ask for an upfront fee and will assess your claim without a charge. Let the lawyer take care of the claims process, and if they decide to fight the legal battle, you don’t have to deal with the insurance company directly. Your lawyer can also file a lawsuit in time if necessary.